Monday, May 17, 2010

Why Do I ALWAYS Have To Learn My Lessons the Hard Way?

I didn't volunteer on the PTA for glory or fame or recognition. I did it becuase I genuinely want the place where my kids spend most of their time to be the BEST place it can be. I have served 2 years on the PTA Board, and 2 years on the School Advisory Council. I have been a Homeroom mom 2 of the past 3 years. I have been a reading coach 2 of the past 3 years. I will help any teacher with anything they ask. Always.

This year was different. I did NOT come back to the PTA Board after last year because of the AWFUL experience it was. I only came back because some people who are near and dear to me asked me to. I did my job, plus another person's job. Then halfway through the year I took on the about 1/2 of a third person's job.

I really have never done any of it for recognition. But this year I feel like I really REALLY went above and beyond. I didn't quit, not when people's promises to me proved to be empty ones. I picked up the slack - any of it - whenever other people dropped the ball. For the first time ever, I truly feel like I did more than anyone else for the betterment of the school. I honestly believe that not one single person on this planet put in more hours this year than i did.

So why am I sitting at home crying my eyes out? Because I was overlooked for an award? Maybe. Because they are about to give all my herd work and accomplishments back to the person who left me a mess to begin with? Probably.

I honest to God feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I should have never expected it, but I guess this year I kind of did. In the real world, the "Thank Yous" are sometimes - most times - not equal to the tasks.

Sometimes it takes a cold, hard slap in the face to show you the whole picture. I guess I just got mine.

No comments: