Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What Do You Want To be When You Grown Up?




A couple of things have prompted this blog. My "baby" is entering Kindergarten this fall. Meaning both of my kids will now be in school full-time. As much as I have enjoyed my 5 years of naps and bon bons, it looks like it may be time for me to - dare I say it? - go back to work.

I don't really want to go back to work. And luckily for me, the current economic climate isn't exactly the best for job hunting. (yipee!) Then there's the challenge of finding something that is flexible enough for your family responsibilities, but still pays you enough to be worth your while.

And really...what DO I want to be when I grow up? I don't know. Do you remember that scene in "The Jungle Book" (the original one - not the sucky sequal with John Goodman as Baloo...) The part where the vultures are on the branches having a discussion. "Whatcha wanna do?" "I dunno, whatYOU wanna do?" Well, it's a little like that. I don't know. The one job I really loved required nights, weekends, and holidays, and really wouldn't even pay for my gas to get there and back.

You may be thinking to yourself "Ummm - newsflash sweetie, but you ARE grown up!" I guess I don't think of myself that way. Bart has a few of his friend's parents as Friends on his Facebook. I don't accept parents. Why? "Because I don't want any grown-ups on my Facebook account!" (Congratulations. All of you who read this and are friends on my Facebook account - you've just been demoted from "grown up" to "over-aged juvenile.")

Maybe that's why I like Disney World so much. You're not allowed to do anything but have fun there. Maybe that's why I'm recently obsessed with a quartet of books intended for college kids. Maybe that's why I have been known - in my adult life, even - to drink like a fish.

I am obviously going to have a REALLY hard time turning 40, which is in about 1 year and 2 months. UGH. So what AM I going to do?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? (Ah - yet another indicator of my advancing years - the Ferris Beuller joke...)

2 comments:

amy said...

I rounded first never thought of the worst
As I studied the shortstop's position
Crack went my leg like the shell of an egg
Someone call a decent physician
I'm no Pete Rose, I can't pretend
Though my mind is quite flexible, these brittle bones don't bend

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead

Sometimes I see me as old manatee
Headin' south as the waters grow colder
Tries to steer clear of the hum-drum so near
It cuts prop scars deep in his shoulder
But that's how it goes (that's how it goes), right to the end
Though his body's quite flexible, that barnacle brain don't bend

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm livin' than live while I'm dead

Now don't get me wrong
This is not a sad song
Just events that I have happened to witness
And time takes its toll as we head for the poll
And no one dies from physical fitness
So what the hell, we'll take it right to the end
As the days grow more complicated the nightlife still wins

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead


Sadly, as it turns out, jobs are just those things that allow us to buy Jimmy Buffett tickets.

Jennifer said...

Why do you HAVE to get a job? Why can't you just stay at home? You are a terrific mom. Just because the kids won't be home during the day doesn't mean that you can't be. More time for cleaning and cooking (heehee), um, I mean resting. OR, you could just have another baby.... :)