Monday, June 23, 2008

Goodbye, George Carlin



In yet another brush with our own, aging mortality, we've lost another great. First it was Evil Knieval last November...now we've lost George Carlin. George Carlin taught me most of the dirty words I know. (My parents used to watch him on TV once we got cable, and didn't know my sister and I were listening.) I even had the pleasure of seeing George in person, in - of all places, the buckle of the Bible Belt - the Saenger Theater in Pensacola. It was about the same time that picture up there was taken. It was also right down the street from First Baptist Church (aka Six Flags Over Jesus), which he probably would have thought was hilarious. He was even better in person than on TV. He was funny, but he was smart too. He made people laugh while he made them think. That's a rare quality in a person. Peace out, GC. May you live your afterlife shouting out all the dirty words you can think of, with no f@*%ing FCC to bother your ass!

No comments: