Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Why I Love an Elf...


It's really all about FEAR. You know, that terrifying fear that if you misbehaved between Thanksgiving and Christmas, that all you would get for Christmas from Santa would be a stocking full of coal and a bundle of sticks. I had that Fear. Most of you had that Fear. But my kids? NO FREAKING FEAR. They must think that they are totally exempt from the Fear. Or maybe they just already have too much stuff that they don't even care. Who knows. The lack of the Fear, though, has been resulting in some really nasty, unruly behavior out of my two little offspring, usually towards each other. I threatened to call Santa - that worked last year. I threatened to call Christmas off - they didn't buy it. That's when I found out about The Elf.

My friend (one of the ones who's abandoned me to go back to work - see earlier post) happens to be working at a toy store. She told me about The Elf on the Shelf, and I had her get me one. Let me just TELL YOU that the Elf is a bonafide MIRACLE WORKER. I do believe in Christmas miracles now, thanks to the Elf. Here's how it works: you get the Elf and it comes with a book. The book basically explains how this Elf is here to spy on you and report your doings to Santa. You have to give your Elf a name, and then he flies back to the North Pole each night to report to Santa. Each morning, he reappears in a different spot. The only rule? You can't touch him, because he'll lose his magic if you do. You register your Elf's name, and then you can get a letter from Santa about your Elf's adoption, and even an adoption certificate. Our little Elf - Giggles - has brought back the Fear. Since he arrived yesterday, the kids have been saying "please" and "thank you". They have helped clear their dishes. They have gotten baths without complaint. They have even played a game together right in front of Giggles so they could make sure he saw them. Upon waking this morning, Karlin was shocked and amazed that Giggles was out of the box, and that he had moved to the Christmas Card holder. Chase is a little more skeptical because "well - he has a face like a TOY", but he's going along with it because Karlin is.

The Elf now rules the roost. If you have kids, you have GOT to get one of these. Check it out at www.elfontheshelf.com. Now if only I could find some way to manipulate the husband and the dog...

Happy Holidays!

No comments: