Sunday, December 23, 2007

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men...

...and even to that woman in line in front of you at the store that just had to price check every other item and only AFTER she gets the total does she begin to search her too-big-to-carry-on-a-plane purse for her checkbook. And then she starts to write the check "Who do I make it out to?" while you stand in line imagining ways to quietly and discreetly dispose of this woman.

Seriously...I love that part in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" where Linus goes into the spotlight and explains what Christmas is all about. (Yes, I KNOW it's really from the bible, but it's more fun from the cartoon, and kids - and pseudo immature grown-ups - can relate to it better from Linus.) Anywho... that Linus part always makes me tear up a little.

I actually had a Verizon cell phone Rep wish me a "Merry Christmas" on the phone yesterday. How fabulous is that? I still haven't gotten the whole can-we-celebrate-Christmas-and-say-Merry-Christmas controversy. The majority of the US population is Christian, so most of us do Christmas. We have co-existed with the Jewish folks for what seems like forever, and we've had no problems. I send "Christmas Cards" to many people who are Jewish. It's not an attempt to run my religious choice in their faces or to try to convert them. It's just a way to reach out once a year and say "hey - we're thinking about you, and we hope you are doing well. Here's some cute pictures of our kids." Most of my Jewish friends send cards to us too (although they are much more conscientious and usually seek out Christmas specific cards. So thoughtful.) I mean really - what is all the fuss about? Christmas - once you get past the commercial trappings - celebrates GOOD things that EVERYONE should want: peace, goodwill, generosity, giving, friends, family. Who doesn't want that stuff?

So for the next few days, I'm going to task you with a mission: spread peace and goodwill. Take 30 seconds today and realize how much you have to be thankful for. Stop wrapping for 20 seconds and look at your pretty Christmas tree. When you are out shopping, and you are in a line of traffic in your car, let someone in front of you. Or maybe even 2 or 3 people. Take all of the change you have in your house and dump it into the red Salvation Army tin at the grocery store. Spend 5 minutes sending an email to a few people who have helped you get through the year. Hug your spouse, kids, fiance, whoever. Don't let the stress and the crowds and the noise and the cranky in-laws get you down. Realize that any gift - even if you hate it - is nice. I mean - hey! Someone thought about you and got you something. Isn't that gesture nice in and of itself?

So you little elves - get out there and try to be happy. Try to ENJOY the next few days. To any and all who read this: I wish you a very Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday season, and a super-duper blessed and prosperous New Year.

(You can pick yourself up off the floor now. Yes - I am being uncharacteristically upbeat and positive today. Look for the likely post-script to this tonight after I've braved the grocery store and attempted to find a box big enough for the Barbie house...) ;)

Promised post-script...11:38 pm on 12/23...not too bad. Wonderful, loving husband did all the grocery shopping and cooked dinner too. I had to clean house (which I do anyway), and then I spent 4 somewhat successful hours in the kitchen baking. I had one batch of my fail-safe cake cookies that turned out well (no fancy shapes or decorations - that would just be asking too much of me.) I made a bunch of buckeyes (chocolate covered peanut butter balls), which were a family tradition until my Nanny passed away. Unfortunately, I didn't come anywhere near her results. Maybe the recipe I have needs a little tweaking. I also made a mega batch of Peanut Butter fudge and a regular sized batch of regular fudge. Jury is still out on those - won't be able to taste them until tomorrow. (Although Bart poses this interesting question: if there's no chocolate in the fudge is it still really "fudge"?) Still doing laundry and dealing with sick kid, but otherwise all is well...Ho Ho Ho

1 comment:

amy said...

and how are we feeling now, my little ray of Christmas sunshine?
I still tipped our terrible waiter almost 20% tonight. Does that count as "goodwill toward men"?