Sunday, August 23, 2009

Places I've Worked That Are No More

In light of the recent sad news about The ZOO in Gulf Breeze closing, I started to think about all the places that I have worked that don't exist anymore. I can't say I'm entirely to blame, but it does seem strange that so many of these places are gone. The fact that most of them are in development-and-success stunted Northwest Florida might have something to do with it.

* Shoe City - Eastgate Plaza on 9th Ave. in Pensacola. My first job, and I spent all my money on shoes.
* Albertson's - 9th Avenue in Pensacola. I worked at the video counter. I believe it's now a Publix, if it's still open at all.
* The Scuba Shack in downtown Pensacola. I worked there for a week and a half, mainly cutting bait out on charter fishing boats. (I quit, for the record.) I don't know if they went out of business, or if Hurricane Ivan did that for them.
* Henry Animal Clinic on Creighton Road in Pensacola. Ole Doc Henry retired and sold the practice. What an easy job - most of the time I watched TV.
* Some weirdo retail shop in Cordova Mall in Pensacola. I worked there 1 Christmas. It was open for such a short time that I can't even remember what it was called. I bought a sweet Esprit dress with my discount, though....teal polka dots (it was the 80's - cut me some slack.)
* Phar-Mor. You guys remember Phar More that used to be out on Davis Highway in Pensacola? I worked at the video counter there and occasionally at the registers while in Grad School. It's gone now too.
* The Pensacola Ice Pilots - Pensacola, FL. Fun-ass job, long-hours, and meager pay. I hear a rumor that they're coming back, but I won't believe that until I see it.
* The ZOO and Botanical Gardens, Gulf Breeze, Florida. Best, most fun job I ever had. I got to do so many cool things, and loved working there even though high school kids at McDs were making more money than I was. Still in touch with some of the people I worked with - we all feel the same way about the place.

Subway on 9th Avenue and The United Way are still there (last time I checked.) I cleaned Beach Houses for 1 weekend - my gawd was THAT awful. Since then my "grown-up" jobs have all been out of town. The Gulf Coats Exploreum is still there in Mobile, and Zoo Atlanta is still kicking. I was an elf at Chick Fil A a few years back, and it seems to have survived. The pre-school where I subbed last year is also doing well.

As for The ZOO...I seriously don't think I'll ever have as much fun as I did chasing down escaped hippos, flying birds of prey, and carrying lemurs around school classrooms. If I had that job today, I would be a rock star with my kids.

Adios ZOO - thanks for the fun times. And remember to please keep your hands and arms inside the train at all times.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's definitely sad that the zoo closed. I didn't know you worked at all those places! :)

amy said...

I just cried upon reading the last sentence. How gay is that?